Saturday, September 7, 2013

Life with our baby boy

 

We've survived a week and ten days as parents! We are learning how to do this whole taking care of a newborn thing [:
It helps that Camden is such a good baby--especially in the sleeping department.
Last feeding was at 10:45 last night and he didn't wake up until almost 6am!! And then he went BACK to sleep after eating until 8:30. I was a spoiled momma last night. He usually sleeps well at night, he only wakes up once usually around 4:45ish but he's been sleeping in pretty late so we are working on getting him to want to sleep a little earlier and then he can wake up earlier in the morning! All in time though.
Its been a bit of a blur the last couple of weeks. One day Garth and I laughed about how life just didn't seem real we kind of felt out of it for a bit there.
Camden didn't do well with the pain med they gave me post labor (it made him quite drowsy) so he wasn't a good eater in the hospital--and as a consequence no one got to see and check his latch at the hospital. So he struggled to latch, and I struggled to learn how to do so. He was gaining weight well so I didn't worry, but I could tell something wasn't right so I decided to see a lactation consultant this week. I'm glad I did. Camden is a tongue thruster, and he comes to eat with his mouth in the shape of a little "o". He doesn't like to open wide he would rather suck like you would suck in a spaghetti noodle. So that has been my main stress is teaching him to re-latch and re-latch til we get it right without causing me too much pain! He eats for shorter amounts of time when he has a good latch so thats relieving. The small "o" latch he cuts off his supply of milk so he can eat for an hour and not be satisfied. So. WE are still working on that. Sometimes a feed goes so blissfully smooth and others we fight each other and he doesn't want to suck and I wonder why people breastfeed at all! BUT all in time right? The lactation consultant advised us to teach him to take a binky (he hates them) so that he will learn to stop thrusting his tongue. So we are working on the binky and I'm happy to report he's learning to like it a little better!
Today has been a great day. We got lots of sleep last night, Camden has eaten and latched like a champ all day and the house has been vacuumed, dusted, and lysoled! All with my Frank Sinatra in the background of course.. its the most normal I've felt in a little while!
I've even cleaned the bathroom this week! I'm pretty proud of myself..
Sometimes I feed Camden in the morning and I think OKAY he's taking his nap what should I do now? Eat? Get Ready? Clean? I always choose wrong. I either clean or get ready before I eat, so then by the time I sit down to eat he's crying and ready to eat again. I've got to learn to prioritize [:
I've yet to cook dinner--but let me defend myself.
Last night was the first night we haven't had a meal brought or left overs to eat. I fully intended to cook a delicious meal, but we had a bit of a surprise.
So I've been having a lot of pain post birth and I just assumed it was the stitches. But the pain started to get pretty bad and was more pressure than anything. Standing to change Camden's diaper was enough to make me hate life. My bleeding had picked up significantly and I tried contacting my doctor but he assured me it was normal and prescribed stronger pain meds. (which, I wasn't even taking the other ones--so I haven't even picked up that prescription). Anyways, last night, in the doctors words, I had my second birth. I stood up after feeding Camden and felt something large fall out of me (sorry gross I know). I yelled for Garth to get Camden and ran to the bathroom. You're supposed to go to the doctor if you pass a clot larger than a 50 cent piece, and I definitely did. MUCH bigger.
SO we got our neighbors to watch Camden (his first babysitters! I was soo sad) and we headed to the doctor. HENCE I didn't make dinner again [:
Turns out not all of my placenta came out after the birth. So that explains all of the pressure. My body has been fighting to get it out and it has kept my uterus from being able to fully contract.
So for the next two days I should heal up nicely--and if I don't I get to go in and have an ultra sound to look for more pieces of placenta. Yay. Nothing could ever be normal for Garth and I could it?
Anyways I'm feeling much better already. Standing isn't so painful, and I don't feel so worn out and nauseated so I'm hoping that thats all behind us.

Its been a fun first couple weeks for sure.  


Full of some milk drunk moments




 Lots of Time with Family















Many Funny Faces






His first football game 





The First Sponge Bath and First real Bath


 Notice his beautiful comb-over






 His blue and Orange for the broncos




He needed a new blue and orange outfit by game-time because he peed through the first one [:






His constant need to prove how strong he is and hold up his head. He does this for pretty long periods of time. 



and just being our happy beautiful baby boy.
 We read scriptures together during his morning feeding.
We read our first book together the other day while dad was working (he made it through probably 3 pages before sleeping)
He loves falling asleep in mom and dad's arms--we do our best to not spoil him.
He's okay with a binky so long as he can hold on to it while its in his mouth.
He likes to grunt when you finally give him what he wants. For example if its burping he wants as soon as you begin to burp him he will make a little "eh eh eh" sound and you know you've discovered what he wants, if he wants to eat he will make his little "eh eh eh" as soon as you start to get him in position--etc. He's cute. 
 I'm just enjoying life with my boy.
We are blessed to have our little Camden.

No comments:

Post a Comment