Thursday, May 30, 2013

Garth Craig Wright


 So looking through old pictures really quick I came across the two above. 
That was the day I saw Garth for the very first time. 
He and Kyle were just coming home from their missions 
and beyond Anna's comment of "You should get him"
I didn't think much about Garth, because ya know I hadn't seen my brother in 2 years. 
But of course now when I look at those pictures--I think about Garth. 
I've learned quite a bit about Garth since that day in February. 
First, I learned that Garth is awkward. [:
Lucky for him it's a cute awkward. 
He searches for a common ground with everyone, and once he finds it that is all he will try to talk about. If you're from Iowa, expect a lot of Iowa related discussion.
If you like cars, expect Garth to talk about cars non-stop. 
I've even watched him hold long conversations about Golf with my dad and grandpa, and he doesn't watch or play golf--or even like it one bit. He just knows its a safe topic with them.
Our first date he couldn't find our common ground so he fumbled around quite a bit. It was funny, and awkward.
Second, I quickly learned that he is the sweetest man alive. 
Dating him was full of spontaneous phone calls, letters, and texts. 
Dates that were planned in secret just for me and flowers just because. 
Marriage is full of days where he cleans the whole apartment just because while I'm in class, 
random notes, flowers, etc.  
Garth is a musician. 
This was one of his best selling points [; 
Most people know that Garth is amazing at the piano as well as the drums. 
I've looked over his music and things people have written about his abilities and it always amazes me. I laugh when we have gone to see the Piano Guys perform because I've heard Garth play many of the songs they are performing. He loves to write music too. He would sit at the piano for hours if he had the time. Once when we were dating I had a favorite song on the radio. 
Garth went home and learned to play it on the piano by hearing it by ear. He then recorded him playing and singing the song, and sent me my own version!
He also sings. He might not tell you that he does, but he does and I love it.  
He is deathly ticklish.
ESPECIALLY his feet. 
If you tickle him he will work to come up with the best excuse as to why he cannot be tickled. Whether it be that he is tired. Or the lifts he did that day. Or that he may kick you. Or that he needs to finish his homework. He may be the only person I know that tries to negotiate his way out of being tickled rather than just running away. He truly hates being tickled though. Its unfortunate. 
He's introverted. 
There's a lot that goes on in this man's head that he does not say out-loud. 
I'm lucky that I've learned a lot about him and can usually see what he's thinking about other people. But I can only imagine the countless times I have annoyed him and he's been smiling there with me oblivious to the fact that he really thinks I'm ridiculous lol.  
Garth is a very careful person.
I love and hate this quality [: 
He can be a little bit of a worry wart when it comes to his things. I can't tell you how often he will randomly clean my computer or ipad screen just because he can't stand how smudgy they get. I've tried to channel this into our windows and mirrors--still working on it [:
This is also why he is pretty cautious about what I do pregnant. The first trimester included a lot of "are you allowed to do that?" "is that really okay?"
I've learned that Garth absorbs the world. 
I've watched him take things in and take on tasks without so much as a complaint. 
I've watched people do things that, knowing Garth well enough, I know hurt his feelings and him just keep plugging on with a smile. 
I watch him in the grocery store pick out things he knows I like and pass right by what he likes. 
I watch him sacrifice and give up things to be able to give more to others. 
I've watched him observe a need and fill a need without question or explanation.
Then occasionally (usually in the car) Garth begins to talk about life. 
He will tell you all these things he thinks and feels and wonders and all you need to do is listen. 
The moments he stops absorbing and starts talking come randomly and can't be provoked.
These are my favorite moments. 
I've learned he is tender hearted. 
Garth loves unconditionally, and this doesn't just apply to me. 
Each person in his family holds a special place for him. 
When they are struggling or down, Garth is looking for ways to help.
He genuinely cares about people. He makes an effort to keep in touch. He always texts my mother to inform her that he loves her and he misses her.
Garth has multiple laughs. 
There's the usual laugh that is given when anything is somewhat funny. 
Then there's the laugh that doesn't include a whole lot of sound--thats when something is really funny. It usually happens a lot when he is around Kyle. 
Then there is a laugh that is accompanied by a squeak. This laugh is my favorite.  
Garth is a gentleman. 
Since I've married Garth he has counted 3 times he has missed opening the car door for me. (he keeps track). He hates it when he misses it because I beat him there. 
When in Boise he literally strategized for how he could get my grandma's door open, my door, and my mom's in a timely manner. 
PS watching your husband help your grandma in and out of the car will make your heart melt. 
Just saying. 
He falls asleep anywhere, anytime. 
I've seen Garth sleep in countless uncomfortable ways. 
I've learned that we cannot have in-depth conversations when we get in bed at night. 
I also have learned to identify when he's about to fall asleep without even having to look at his face. I can hear it in his breathing. This is frequent during his late night study sessions.  
He likes working with his hands. 
Garth used to build decks and I'm pretty sure he still glorifies this time as the best time of his life. 
He loves creating things, and he's good at it. 
He and I combined = a life full of lots of projects. Which I'm so happy about! 
If he can fix something himself he'd rather do that than call someone to come out and do it. 
He's precise. 
Sometimes Garth has a hard time being the observer, he likes to be in control. (SOMETIMES). 
For example, one time Garth came to the sewing lab with me. I just had to lay out a pattern real quick and didn't really need his help. However, I am the type that with an audience I will double check what I'm doing regardless if I need it or not. 
Garth had the hardest time just watching. He wanted to just do it for me because in his head he had a greatly efficient way to do so. HE doesn't EVEN sew! haha. 
It was a really funny experience. 
Some things I will never do the same because of Garth. 
His ramen noodles--there is a special way to cook them. (He loves ramen). 
Mac and cheese will never be cooked the same by me. 
I can expect to have hooks on the back of my door forever. 
I can also expect that when we have a big "clean the whole apartment day" Garth will get lost perfecting a cupboard for about an hour. 
He will re-align things and build shelves or add hooks to make it more efficient. 
He's funny like that. 
Lucky for us we balance each other in that way. And generally, I don't mind letting Garth take the lead at all. He's confident learning new things--I am not.
Garth loves a good hug. 
Most of the time that's all he wants. He will follow me around until I stop and say, yes? And he will say can you just give me a hug? I haven't hugged you yet today. 
He's my favorite. 
Even while dating I never felt so supported and reassured in my life than the times I was with Garth. 
I still hear that I'm beautiful, or look cute, or that he likes my eyes etc. multiple times a day. 
I hear the words "I love you" arguably over 10 times a day. 
And now I hear the questions "hows our baby boy?" or that he loves our baby as well multiple times a day. He's just a keeper. 
 

 




No comments:

Post a Comment