Monday, June 6, 2011

Garth and Amy's story.

Okay so first things first... I know soo many of you are waiting for me to call you or skype you and tell you all about this weekend, I'm working on it k? Just catching up on sleep and homework and trying to focus on the last two months of school! [:


 So I know you all want to know Garth and I's "story". So lets get down to business!
 I'm going to take this allll the way back to before I met him.

How it All Started

My brother, as most of you know, served a two year mission for our church in Ghana, Africa. Well Garth was there too, and ended up being one of Kyle's companions. Kyle had every single one of his companions write me, and most had joked about marriage so I really never thought anything of their comments. But when Kyle called on Christmas he told me Garth was my future husband, and that we'd be perfect. I still didn't think anything of it, I was in high school and I was dating people. My mom sent kyle some pictures of me at prom, and kyle wrote a letter to Garth on the back of my picture with "eternity" written on the top. Haha such a weird brother. Eventually, he told Garth to write me, and Garth did. I didn't write back until I got Kyle's email telling me I needed to. Then Garth wrote again, and I didn't reply. Not intentionally blowing him off! Just didn't think it was important!

  Then when Kyle flew home from his mission in February Garth flew with him and his flight connected in Colorado, had a layover, and then he went home. So I met him face to face that same day Kyle returned, but was wayy to focused on seeing my brother after two years to again, think anything of it. I noticed he was super tan, and my older sister told me I should "get him". But he was too shy to talk to me. (Still in that missionary stage). So then he tried to contact me a couple times on facebook, to which I never replied, because again--I didn't think anything of it! I know I know, I spent a lot of time totally blowing things off. I'm slow!
But finally one day Garth made a sarcastic comment to my brother that I was "shady". And so I finally wrote him. I figured being a returned missionary, I could talk to him about gospel things, and help him know that there were reasons to keep up the habits of the mission. Never really thought he'd ever have any affect on me.. haha. [;
But as time went on, my friend Emily commented about how she'd never seen me so giddy about a guy. He always joked about coming to visit me...(He's from Iowa if you missed that part). And one day I got sick of the jokes and he said "You know I could come at any moment I want right?" And I said "Notice how you haven't?" And within the next couple days he booked a flight. He likes proving people wrong.
When I met him at the airport, he shook my hand. Not a hug...a handshake. Right then I knew it was going to be an awkward weekend. Thankfully Kyle showed up and kept things from being too awkward, because they could just talk about the mission. We went on two dates that weekend, Rockies game and Elitches. Elitches, he played the piano and sang downtown, we held hands...and after that--I was pretty much a goner!



Now its been a little over a year since that weekend, and after making him wait a LONG time to be official (I'm a really slow mover guys) and a lot of prayers, and a lot of extremely happy days with him, we are now engaged. [:

So. Here's the best part: how he proposed. [:

Currently he lives about two hours away from me, and we flip flop between Rexburg and Logan every weekend. This weekend was his birthday so I was going down to Logan to spend it with him, and didn't want him to have to travel on his birthday. Friday he had to work, and then we were going out to dinner. So his sister Ana was texting me telling me that her and her husband Jonathan were going to surprise Garth with this piano audition thing. (Garth is really really really good at the piano). She told me that I needed to text her when we were getting close to being done with dinner, and then "go to the restroom" so I could leave with Jonathan, and she'd kidnap Garth, take him to the surprise audition and I'd show up to watch. Super exciting!

So we go to dinner, and Garth finishes way before the babysitter is at his house, so I'm like--stalling. Asking questions about our plans for Iowa, eating wayy more than I wanted just to give him a reason to stay, picking apart my roll bit by bit--trying to act natural and not be suspicious. Finally they're on their way so I "go to the bathroom" and run out to tell his sister where he's sitting, and then I leave with Jonathan. Well, Jonathan tells me he forgot his camera so we have to go home and get it. Its 7:50 and the audition is at 8:00 so I was a little worried, but I went along with it. Well he's a cop, so he's driving the speed limit, and its passed 8;00 now. So in my head I am super frustrated, I'm thinking we're going to miss my boyfriends audition, I'm going to be sooo mad I rode with you, but I'm trying to be nice on the outside. So I'm making small talk and trying to just be positive. But then we get to the concert hall thats on campus and Jonathan is walking around like he doesn't know where he's going, so in my head I'm like great, you could've planned this a LITTLE better so I could actually see the audition! We walk into a pitch black auditorium, and he says there's a recording thing on the other side of the stage where we need to go. So I walk with him through the auditorium with my cell phone lighting my footsteps all the while thinking, this guy has no idea where he's going.   Then all the sudden the lights flip on on the stage and Garth is there dressed up sitting at a piano. He starts playing and singing a song he wrote for me about us. In it it goes through some of our dates, and different things, its a super super cute song. Jonathan was running around taking pictures, and there was a video camera on Garth, but I didn't realize there was one on me! But at the end of the song he asked me to come on stage and thats where he told me he loved me, and then got down on one knee and asked me to marry him! [:
I said yes, and his family all popped out of the curtains. It was soo perfect and cute, and the fact that I felt like I was surprising HIM and that I was the one in the "know" made it so I was totally caught off guard and not suspicious of him at all. He knows me well [:
And everything is perfect.











To see the video and/or hear the song--you'll probably have to come to my wedding reception.
And we don't have a date YET. We're waiting for him to get a track assignment from BYU-I. So be patient. [:

But there ya have it.
My fiance is the best one out there.--I know.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations Amy! what a super cute Engagement story. He did a great job.I Wish you and Garth the best in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe, Congratulations! I'm so excited for you Amy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! The story was told very well....I knew the ending part - obviously, but not so much of the begining.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so incredibly happy for you!!!!

    ReplyDelete