Tuesday, March 12, 2013

A moment to remember


I'm mostly writing this post for my memory--so you'll notice I didn't post the link to facebook.
There are small moments that occur that are probably extremely significant to me, and silly to everyone else--BUT I want to remember them regardless.

Last week Garth and I had an experience where we were trying to make a fairly large decision. Every time one of us decided, the other switched sides or points of view. We discussed it all week and finally realized that we both knew what we were supposed to do but that we were being stubborn. Garth talked on the phone to his dad, while I talked to my mom (it was her birthday) and we were just coincidentally talking to them at the same time it wasn't about anything in particular. After getting off the phone we sat down on our kitchen floor (yes we have a table--it was really late and we were tired). We talked about the decision and laughed about the whole process. I made us scrambled eggs (in the middle of the night remember) and we just sat on the floor and ate and laughed about life and different experiences we have had.
We talked about our future and joked about what kinds of things might come. We comforted each other on some fears we had in the future and we just enjoyed the small moment. It didn't matter that we had to get up early the next day or that we had homework to do, we just enjoyed that moment together laughing and discussing our life, eating our scrambled eggs.

I enjoy these moments because I'm sure they'll be what I miss. When we are more financially stable, or have a more established family it will be these little times that we sat on the floor and laughed together for no reason at all that I cherish from our newly wed life. It'll be that time we went outside and did companion scripture study on a blanket in the grass just because we wanted to. It will be those times that we sat down on the floor to talk (we seem to prefer the floor when we are stressed) and both fell asleep next to each other. It will be the times that we played Super Smash on nintendo 64 like little kids. The simple little moments together are generally so much more important than the planned events.

So next time you're sitting there alone with your spouse just laughing about life or talking about nothing--enjoy it. How often do you get to focus on nothing but just your spouse?

No comments:

Post a Comment